.

.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The gift of a body

Maybe it's because I just had a baby, or that I'm training for a triathalon, or that my brother-in-law just got in a bad dirt bike accident with Steve and is currently struggling with limited and dysfunctional use of his body... Either way, the gift of a body is on my mind.

My mom always taught me not to complain about the wrapping paper on the greatest gift we've ever been given. In other words, don't over stress about outer appearance; just focus on the incredible things this gift can do- it can run, jump, dance, climb, ski, swim, think, feel, dream, create life, work, play. IT'S AMAZING! So if the wrapping paper is a little wrinkled, torn, or the bow isn't as pretty as someone else's... That's not what's important! It's the gift inside. I'm grateful my mom raised me this way and it's how I want to raise my kids. 
This is my mom- loving life during our half marathon last summer. This is me- not loving life quite as much as her :)

An excerpt from an article I love about how to talk to your daughter about her body:(http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3678534)

"Encourage your daughter to run because it makes her feel less stressed. Encourage your daughter to climb mountains because there is nowhere better to explore your spirituality than the peak of the universe. Encourage your daughter to surf, or rock climb, or mountain bike because it scares her and that's a good thing sometimes." 

We should exercise so we are capable of doing the things we love, are healthy, and able to enjoy life.  I've realized that I'm the happiest when I'm out doing wholesome recreational activities with my body- when I'm putting that gift to use and seeing what it is capable of. 





After both of these pictures it was capable of enduring a serious face plant. 

With it being said to not over focus on outer appearances, I do think it's important to respect the gift by taking care of it.  Just like you don't put a bumper sticker on a ferrari, our bodies are THAT nice that they don't need much else added to them to distract from that. BUT washing and polishing the fararri shows we value it. Being a mom, I can definitely improve on actually getting ready for the day and not wearing the same yoga pants for days (ok, months) straight (without ever doing yoga). Even if I'm just going to get barfed on... Eh, forget it, yoga pants until my babies are five. 

I'm really anxious for my brother-in-law, Phil, to get his bones healed and body recovered (see Jerai's blog on my side bar of blogs I follow for details on all that). 
Which, here is another incredible aspect of this gift we are given- it's ability to be healed. I'm so grateful to a Heavenly Father who not only gave us a body, but one that he promises will be made perfect. It truly is one of the greatest gifts. I intend to keep putting it to use for the purpose it was given- to enjoy life, explore, learn, make babies :). If I obtain a J-Lo butt along the way, no complaints there, but really I will just be happy to finish (and hopefully enjoy) this triathalon in a few weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, so great to wake up and enjoy your post:) You are such a wonderful person:)!. You and Steve have been blessed with loving parents who taught you to value and appreciate all the good things in life and pass them along. Our bodies are a magnificent creation and we only get one like this. I'm so happy for you! Thanks for sharing your insights:) Love and prayers for your brother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete